Friday, April 9, 2010

Newborn Soaker


A friend of mine is having a baby in June and is planning on using cloth diapers. A few months ago she asked me if I'd ever heard of woolies or soakers... and if I knew how to make them. I didn't know at the time... but after a little research and some good information from one of my knitting lists I learned what I needed to know. Soakers are wool diaper covers that go on the outside of the diaper to help draw moisture away while staying dry on the outside. Wool has some pretty amazing properties and I'm really interested to hear how well they work. I just finished my first attempt... I plan on trying out several different styles and making them in a few different sizes so that she can figure out which ones work the best. I thought this one came out a little crudely... but cute all the same. I had forgotten how small a new born butt was...

I got my pattern here. I will post other attempts in the future.

2 comments:

  1. Did you treat the soaker to a lanolin bath? I made one similar it is a vintage pattern from 1946. Everything old is new again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got addicted to knitting and therefore spinning when I began making soakers and longies (and of course skirties too) for my youngest... of course my then 18 month old decided to potty train and I'm left with a house full of fiber, spinning wheels, and bins full of fabulous wool. LMK if you need some lanolin to treat your knits, I purchased it by the pound LOL! BTW they work amazing!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...